Saturday, November 07, 2009

Not as advertised

Things don't always go the way I imagine them. I'm sure this never happens to you...

Take the other day for instance. I belong to a Men's Small Group at my church. We've been meeting now for a number of years at 6am Thursday mornings. It's a great time to socialize, have breakfast together and study different male issues in a biblical way.

Right now, we're going through a video series called "Winning at Work and Home". The teacher has some great insights into relationships.

Some are not so great.

"Make your wife feel secure." suggested Robert "Security is one her her biggest needs." He went on to give an example: "I looked my wife right in the eye, and said 'Honey, I hope you like my face, because you'll be seeing a lot of it. I am not going anywhere.'" Apparently, Robert's wife was made to feel really secure by this.

Inspiring stuff! Determined to make my wife feel just as secure as Robert's, I went home that night after work and sat with her.

I looked her in the eyes.

I smiled and said "Honey, do you like this face? You're going to be seeing a lot of it."

I waited for the anticipated look of security to show up in my wife's face.

She looked more like this.

"Have you been fired?" she gasped. "What's wrong?" I had to reassure her that I did still have a job, and that nothing was, in fact, wrong. Far from making her feel secure, my words had scared her out of her wits!

Can't wait to try the next suggestion...

3 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Blogger Susie said...

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!! It's the thought that counts, Honey! And it is inspiring stuff. :-) I love you all the more for trying it!

...LOLOLOLOL!!

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Penny said...

Sooo funny! I can just see it happening!

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Angel at Aduladi' said...

I could see Susie's face even before I read about her reaction! LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home