Friday, August 18, 2006

Bigtrak

While researching pictures for a previous post, I came across this. In a fit of nostalgia, I e-mailed the picture to my charming and creative wife, who suggested I should blog about it. She's right, of course!

This was Bigtrak, my absolute favorite toy, favorite that is, until it met with a premature demise. More about that later.

BigTrak was my first robot and my first computer, all in one loveable 6-wheeled, laser-cannon-equipped, white plastic body.

It was so cool! You used a keypad on its back to program it to drive around, fire laser blasts at family pets, and knock things over. It used a programming language similar to LOGO. I truly believe that it gave rise to my love of all things geekish.

Now sit right back, and I'll tell you a tale, the tale of a fateful trip. That started from a tropic port... oops, wrong story. Where was I? Oh yes...

Bigtrak's life was tragically cut short, due to the excessive enthusiasm of its operator. I came up with the ultimate challenge: could Bigtrak navigate around my neighbourhood? To make this even harder, could Bigtrak do it... unattended?

The short answer is... no. After painstakingly programming the beast, and waving goodbye as it left my gate, I waited in vain for its return. After waiting forever, or at least five minutes (after all, I was a kid) I went to look for my lost toy.

Bigtrak had apparently left the sidewalk (or pavement, after all I am British), and neglected to look both ways before crossing the street. I had programmed Bigtrak to drive right into Silicon Heaven.

I was sad, devastated, heartbroken, remorseful, and crushed.

But not as crushed as Bigtrak.

2 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Blogger Susie said...

LOLOLOLOLOL! I'm in a fit of laughter here! That was HILARIOUS!! Loved the photo links!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXs!

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Stuart said...

Most of my photos come from Google. Just click on "IMAGES" from the Google homepage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home